The Enterprise is in direct line of descent from The Falmouth Local, which was established in a shoe store on Main Street by Lewis Foster Clark in 1886. The Local started out in a building on the shore of Shivericks Pond and eventually moved to the building that is currently occupied by Caline for Kids. Charles Sumner Burgess bought the Local in 1895, renamed it The Falmouth Enterprise and published it for the next 30 years.
In 1925 Harry Albro bought the Enterprise. His name can be found on the veterans memorial at the head of Memorial Lane in front of the Falmouth Public Library.
Four years later, George A. Hough Jr. bought the paper. It was announced on May 2, 1929.
George Hough Jr. was the grandson of a Martha's Vineyard whaling captain. His father was for 40 years editor and managing editor of the New Bedford Evening Standard. He was a graduate of the Pulitzer School of Journalism at Columbia. When he bought The Enterprise he had been for several years city editor of The Evening Standard.
Co-publisher of The Enterprise was his wife, Clara Sharpe Hough, who also attended the Pulitzer School.
It was the first time The Enterprise was published by trained professionals.
"The Enterprise," the new publisher wrote in a Page One message, "has no entangling alliances. Its ownership is personal. It is hampered by no financial responsibility to any outside business or selfish interests. There will be no absentee control here."
The Enterprise looks quite different than the seven-column broadsheet of 1929. And the third generation of the Hough family now publishes the paper. Its offices are on Depot Avenue, where they were moved in 1931, and the press facility today is in the Falmouth Technology Park. The Enterprise today publishes four newspapers, having added editions in Bourne, Sandwich and Mashpee.
But George Hough's message is as true today as it was in 1929. The Enterprise is a family-owned newspaper fully committed to the communities it serves.