Blues Dominate Rival Falmouth To Earn Spot In CCWSL Finals

Stephanie Striglio leaps past Falmouth goalie Cameran Meyers and pushes a goal past her in the Mashpee Blues' semifinal win over Falmouth.GENE M. MARCHAND/ENTERPRISE - Stephanie Striglio leaps past Falmouth goalie Cameran Meyers and pushes a goal past her in the Mashpee Blues' semifinal win over Falmouth.

Mashpee showed up to play on Tuesday night during the semifinals of the Cape Cod Women’s Soccer League. With grit and hustle, Falmouth was able to hang with Mashpee for the first half. However, the more skilled team prevailed, and Mashpee earned its spot in the finals with a 6-1 victory.

Mashpee asserted itself early with a goal in the first 15 minutes of the half. Aurianna Franco launched a free kick into the box, where the ball bounced behind Falmouth keeper Cameran Meyers and into the back of the net. Falmouth didn’t have as much luck with its own long balls, however, as Mashpee’s strong back line continually broke up Falmouth’s offensive rushes.


Mashpee’s physicality showed on the other side of the field as well. Stephanie Striglio hustled inside the 18-yard line and beat Falmouth’s defender to a rolling ball before pushing it around Cameran Meyers. Assistant coach Tony Sciarrillo concisely summed up Mashpee’s talent, saying, “They’re strong, they’re fast, they’re skilled. ... And it just came down to them having some really well-placed balls that just burned us.”

Falmouth showed some life after going down by two, as Mariama Hesek received a corner kick in front of the goalmouth with room to turn and shoot. Hesek’s goal got Falmouth on the board, but Mashpee was quick to take back control of the match. Mashpee striker Alexa Yow received a pass at the top of the box and, dodging a Falmouth defender, struck the ball low to the left corner to put Mashpee up 3-1 at the half.

Mashpee continually beat Falmouth to balls and played with quick, accurate touches. Falmouth could not keep up with the sustained pressure, and Mashpee continued to find the back of the net in the second half. Mashpee’s Jackie Lynch crossed a well-placed ball in front of Falmouth’s net, where an open Lily Peterson skillfully kneed it past the keeper. “We got caught in the middle and we left some people unmarked in the middle and some of it was miscommunication. But you’ve got to really give it to Mashpee. They’re a strong team; they’re players,” said coach Sciarrillo.

Falmouth couldn’t catch a break, and shortly afterwards Alexa Yow earned her second goal of the match off a penalty kick to put Mashpee up 5-1. Falmouth attempted to make up some of the deficit, but its bids were swallowed up by Mashpee keeper Maggie LeVangie. With about five minutes left to play, Michaela Moran received a pass from the goal line and put the ball away into the low right corner to complete Mashpee’s impressive, offensive match.

Despite Mashpee’s lead, Falmouth neither collapsed nor quit. They finished out a strong season, and coach Sciarrillo was proud of the way his team persevered. “The kids played all the way ’til the whistle; we had a great season. ... It’s hard to be anything but proud of them, the way they battled all season.”


No comments yet.
Please sign in and be the first one to comment.