Falmouth Boys' Basketball Upends Sandwich

 The Falmouth High School boys’ basketball team bounced back from their worst shooting performance of the season and ended a three-game losing streak by rallying from behind to upend Sandwich High, 49-45, on Tuesday night at the Antonucci Field House. In a tight game that featured six ties and nine lead changes, Falmouth rode an 11-point fourth quarter from sophomore forward Craig Green to pull out the win.

Green, who finished with a game-high 17 points, did the bulk of his damage on the low block late in the game. He re-entered the game late in the third quarter and began to do damage in the fourth as Falmouth guards Andrew McGill and Nate Steele drew the defense to themselves at the top of the zone and found Green on dribble penetration numerous times for easy baskets underneath.

“The big play of the game was Brian (Jeffery) taking the charge late in the game, and Craig getting the rebounds and easy baskets,” FHS Head Coach Paul Lundberg said. “He was so active, and they were really trying to shut down Andrew (McGill) and they left Craig open and he got some nice lay-ups and some good put-backs.”

Sandwich took its final lead of the game on a 3-pointer by forward Johnny Stanton (16 points, 9 rebounds) with 3:00 left in the game as he knocked down the big shot from the right corner to put the Blue Knights up 45-44, just seconds after the Clippers had pulled back out in front on a 3-point play by Green, who took a dish from Steele and put it in off the window while getting fouled.

McGill missed a shot on the Clippers next trip, which Joey Downes (5 points) rebounded and worked up the court. SHS tried to go hard through the lane, but the Knights were called for an offensive foul with 2:39 left in the game as Jeffery (4 points, 3 rebounds) established defensive position in the paint and got bowled over.

Each team’s next trips resulted in missed opportunities. With 1:50 left, Kyle Kasprzyk (9 points, 8 rebounds) got to the line for two, and hit one, tying the score at 45 apiece. Jake Ganley (3 points) grabbed the rebound of the missed free throw for SHS, but the Knights were called for traveling—a regular occurrence for both teams on the night—with 1:34 to go.

Falmouth grabbed the lead for good after the turnover. With 1:17 to play in the game, McGill drove hard from the right elbow, drawing the defense up to him. As the Knights collapsed on the FHS all-star guard, he dished it to Green on the block for an easy lay-up that put Falmouth ahead to stay, 47-45.

Downes, who Falmouth kept in check all night long, missed a jumper late in the Knights’ next possession, which McGill rebounded. Falmouth called for time to set up a play, but missed a couple of shots down low with a chance to make it a two possession game. FHS was then called for a loose ball foul while battling for the rebound of one of their misses and Eric Fagenberg (3 points) was fouled by FHS in the process, sending him to the line for a chance to tie the score with 36 seconds left.

Both of Fagenberg’s free throws were off the mark. Kasprzyk came down with the carom and FHS got it down low again to Green. The forward was fouled, with 15 seconds left, and sank both of his shots to make it a four-point spread.
SHS came down the court and got a look from 3-point land late, but the shot was off the mark and Green tried for the rebound just as time expired.

The Knights held the lead for the majority of the game. Downes scored all of his points in the game in the first quarter, with a 3-point play putting SHS on top, 7-6, halfway through the opening quarter and then his other basket coming a minute later. By the end of the first quarter the Knights pushed their lead up to six.

Sandwich upped its edge to as many as seven points in the second quarter, but Falmouth began to reel them back in slowly. The Knights led 26-22 at halftime.

In the third quarter, Sandwich opened up the scoring on a Jake Ganley lay-up which was the result of a nice touch pass down low from Hank O’Brien (7 points, 3 rebounds). After that bucket, though, Falmouth got hot and set out on an 8-0 run to take the lead for the first time since the opening minutes, with a Kasprzyk jumper from the elbow making it 30-28. From there it was back-and-forth battle, with Scott Reels’ third 3-pointer of the evening putting Sandwich up after three, 38-36.


No comments yet.
Please sign in and be the first one to comment.