Knights Tally 11th Win In Men's Soccer

Nick Cotter with the ball for the Sandwich Knights of the Cape Cod Amateur Soccer League in their 2-1 victory over the Falmouth Tide on Wednesday, July 23.DAN CROWLEY/ENTERPRISE - Nick Cotter with the ball for the Sandwich Knights of the Cape Cod Amateur Soccer League in their 2-1 victory over the Falmouth Tide on Wednesday, July 23.

The first-place Sandwich Knights slipped past the Falmouth Tide Wednesday afternoon, July 23, at Trotting Park in Falmouth in Cape Cod Amateur Soccer League play, posting their 11th win of the season by a score of 2-1.

As they did in their earlier meeting this summer, the Tide (4-6-2) gave Sandwich (11-1) all they could handle, holding an offensive edge through the opening half. But, it was Sandwich who held the upper hand in scoring chances in the first 45 minutes and they made one count in the 32nd minute when JD Drumm fired a quick shot on an indirect from the left side that flew into the back of the Falmouth net just out of the diving reach of Tide keeper Brett Young.

The Knights opened the afternoon with a chance in the match’s first minute when Kevin Greene took a cross from Nick Cotter and launched a hard shot that Young grabbed.


Falmouth did a nice job of attacking with their midfield, pushing the ball forward. Derek Young, Cody Hunter, Jon Sampson and Kolin Campbell kept Sandwich keeper Jason Katz and the Knight defense on their toes as they kept up the opening half pressure. Both sides had four chances on corner kicks in the first half, but neither was able to make much happen.

Sandwich picked it up offensively in the second half, keeping Brett Young and the Tide defense busy. Two minutes into the second the Knights took a 2-0 lead when Sandwich striker Nick Cotter and the Falmouth keeper collided as both went for the ball of the far left side of the net. Cotter had a step on Young and got off a shot before the two hit, with the ball catching the net just inside the far post.

Fifteen minutes later Sandwich nearly had another score, as Young moved out to cut down the angle on a breakaway and a cross pass found Tim Parsons with a shot on the open net. Pat Horgan made a nice play slicing in from the left side and clearing the shot just before the goal line.

Greene had a scoring opportunity five minutes later as he went for the top left hand corner of the net, but Young made a leaping save, swatting the ball away with one hand.

Thirty minutes into the second, Falmouth’s Jon Sampson got off a shot that rode a bit high and slammed off the crossbar. Two minute later Sean Sullivan took a corner for the Tide and found Hunter 15 yards to the left of the Sandwich net. Hunter found the little bit of daylight between the defense, dive of Katz and the near post and cut the Sandwich lead to 2-1.

The Tide gave it everything they had in the final minutes of the match, but the Sandwich defense of Austin Haygood, Matt Larson, Ben Calbault and Jake Hyland, along with three very tough saves by Katz, held off the Falmouth charge.

The Knights roughed-up the Harwich Blues Sunday night, July 20, scoring nine times, while holding Harwich (2-7-2) scoreless. Tim Parsons led the Sandwich attack with two goals and an assist. Kevin Greene also tallied twice. Jake Hyland, Austin Haygood, Connor O’Brien, Peter Alveranga and Corey Barbo also joined in the scoring with a goal apiece.


No comments yet.
Please sign in and be the first one to comment.