Mashpee Field Hockey Plays To 3-1 Victory Over Sturgis West

Field hockey has one very interesting rule that is unlike most other sports. In field hockey, a team can score with no time left on the clock due to a rule that mandates that a penalty corner that comes before the final whistle at the completion of a half has to be played out before the half is officially over.

That rule played a big role in Mashpee's first goal on Wednesday, which helped kickstart a meandering effort into a high gear. Mashpee went on to win by a 3-1 score over visiting Sturgis West, improving to 3-1-1 overall on the season with the victory.

Throughout the first half, the Lady Falcons were having a hard time gaining any momentum. With starters Morgen Morris, Summer Auville and Mackenzie Dupont all out of the lineup, the squad had several players in spots that they were unaccustomed to and it was obvious that the club's chemistry was a bit off. Forward Kelly Kalagher had a couple of shots on net during the first half, but other than a blast that was kicked out with three minutes before halftime, nothing shot on the goal by MHS truly tested the West keeper.
However, that unique rule came into play at the end of the first half for the Lady Falcons. Sturgis was cited for an obstruction in the circle just seconds before the halftime horn.

When the West players heard that horn, they headed straight for the sidelines, only to be recalled onto the field to complete the half in an official manner by the referees.

Mashpee's Briana Ball, who had a very good game distributing the ball, was the trigger woman on the play and sent a nice feed straight up the middle of the circle for Kalagher. The senior settled the ball and took one quick stride towards the net before unleashing a rocket that beat the goalie inside the left post to make it a 1-0 game at the half.

Head Coach Heather Watson said that the goal with "0:00" on the game clock changed the rhythm in a positive manner for the Falcons.

"It was important to start the momentum with the girls, to give them more of a positive read on the game because they were playing really flat (in the first half)," Watson said.


In the second half the Falcons were the opposite of flat as they played an inspired brand of field hockey, with Kalagher leading the way. The senior captain went on to add two more second half goals, finishing the day with a hat trick.

The senior scored her two second half goals over a four-minute span midway through the period. The second of the day came in the 43rd minute on a restart. Mia DePalo put the ball into the circle, from just beyond it, and Kalagher ran onto the ball, took two strides to the net and beat the keeper from a tough angle with a shot to the far post.

Four minutes later she scored her prettiest of the day, a running shot that saw the senior streak away from the net while unleashing a rocket. Alex Gumbert fired the ball through the midfield, where Kalagher collected it, tipped it over a defender's stick while on the run, and then ran diagonally toward the far side. With the defender draping herself all over the senior's back, Kalagher let a shot rip that found the far side of the net to make it 3-1.

That capped a great day by the senior, and a solid second half by the MHS offense as it put constant pressure on Sturgis. Ball, Gumbert, Katryna Parvey and Cece Piermatei all were solid up front during that time.

Sturgis did end the Falcons' shutout bid late in the second half with a long shot from the edge of the circle that tricked through Rory Sullivan. Both Sullivan, and first half starter Sam Fraser, made three saves in the game.


No comments yet.
Please sign in and be the first one to comment.