Mashpee Women's Soccer Beats Falmouth

Mashpee’s Sophie Paarup battles for the ball between two Falmouth defenders in the July 8 match at Heritage Park.GENE M. MARCHAND/ENTERPRISE - Mashpee’s Sophie Paarup battles for the ball between two Falmouth defenders in the July 8 match at Heritage Park.

Offensively, Mashpee Women’s Soccer had a lot going for them on Tuesday night, July 8, as they took on Falmouth. Both teams competed in the middle of the field, but Mashpee had the edge in its attack. Goals came from multiple players as they defeated Falmouth 5-1 in Cape Cod Women’s Soccer League play.

Mashpee’s first goal of the match came off a hustle play in the box from Stephanie Striglio. In the 40th minute of the first half, a long ball from the corner found its way into the six-yard box. Striglio dove and headed the ball into the corner past Falmouth keeper Cameran Meyers to put Mashpee up 1-0.

It seemed that all game long Mashpee was finding the back of the net. Assistant coach for Falmouth Tony Sciarillo acknowledged the quality of Mashpee’s attack, saying, “They were all just really good balls.”


In the second half, Mashpee made the most of its offensive opportunities. Early in the half, Mashpee’s Natalie Benjamin brought the ball inside the 18-yard line and slipped it past the goalie to the far corner, doubling Mashpee’s lead. Just seconds later, Michaela Moran put Mashpee ahead by three. Cameran Meyers did all she could to cut down the angle, but Moran tore down the right sideline with a defender on her back and powered the ball into the net.

Although Falmouth’s backs had some strong tackles, they struggled collectively to keep Mashpee’s strikers contained. “We were getting a little disorganized in the back. I think we got a little aggressive for our own good, and we didn’t have great communication between the backs and the mids and it cost us a couple of times,” said coach Sciarillo.

Falmouth eventually got on the board with about 20 minutes left in the match. Greer Gilbert worked her way into the front of the goalmouth and headed a corner kick into the back of the net. Gilbert’s goal, however, would be Falmouth’s only of the night. “We need to get our minds more involved in the attack and we need to have our mids and our strikers a little more composed,” said coach Sciarillo. He hopes that with more players in the attack, Falmouth will have more offensive success in its games going forward.

Mashpee had two more well-placed goals in the match, both coming from strong shots around the 18. Kaitlyn Lima created space for herself before putting the ball far post, and Stephanie Striglio scored her second goal of the match with a similar strike.

Falmouth (3-2-1) will be back in action at Wareham next Tuesday, July 15, at 6:15 PM at the Decas Elementary School.


No comments yet.
Please sign in and be the first one to comment.