Mashpee/UCT Hockey Splits First Two Games

Aidan Sullivan netted a pair of goals for the M/UCT boys' ice hockey team in an opening night win over Pope John Paul II on Saturday.RICH MACLONE/ENTERPRISE - Aidan Sullivan netted a pair of goals for the M/UCT boys' ice hockey team in an opening night win over Pope John Paul II on Saturday.

A three-goal third period opened the game up for victorious Cohasset on Wednesday night against the Mashpee/Upper Cape Tech boys’ ice hockey team. Chris Donnan scored a pair of goals, just a minute apart, to lead the fray against the Falcons, turning a 1-0 deficit into a 3-0 one for M/UCT just as the middle period had passed its second minute. Late in the second the Skippers got another to make it 4-0 as they went on to take a 5-1 win.

Mashpee is now 1-1 to start the season, Cohasset is 3-0. While M/UCT certainly would have preferred a better outcome, the loss did see improvement for the team over their clashes with Cohasset from a year ago. During the previous campaign, CHS won the two games by scores of 7-1 and 8-0.

M/UCT goalie Tony Visconte stopped 25 shots in the game.

The Falcons did cut into the Cohasset lead midway through the third period, making it a 4-1 game. Ben Daigneault netted his first of the year, finishing off assists from Aiden Sullivan and Cam Ventre. CHS finished the scoring with 45 seconds left on the game clock.

The Falcons began their season with a quality victory on Saturday night against Pope John Paul II. Behind a two-goal performance by Aidan Sullivan, the Falcons scored a 5-4 win to secure their first points of the year in the standings.

The game went back-and-forth  through much of the first two periods, but Mashpee was able to take a 4-2 led into the second intermission thanks to a three-goal outburst, two of which came of the stick of Sullivan. M/UCT took a 2-1 lead on Sullivan’s first of the night, which was an absolute snipe from the bottom of the left wing circle. The big forward took the puck deep, breaking over the blue line, and let it fly from a tough angle, about 15 feet to the right of goalie Seamus McArdle. The goalie hugged the nearside pipe, but Sullivan rattled the puck in off the far side iron to make it 2-1 at the 3:07 mark of the frame.

Less than two minutes later the Lions squared the game at 2-2. Patrick Connolly poked one through traffic and under Tony Visconte for PJP2.

The back-and-forth action continued, though. Mashpee/UCT added two more in the second to seemingly take control of the game. Cam Ventre did his best Bobby Orr impersonation at the 6:29 mark of the second, slipping one by the goalie while going airborne across the crease. Ventre had his fist pumping in celebration before crashing to the ice. Two minutes later Sullivan made it 4-2 with an equally pretty goal. Sullivan was set up behind the PJP2 goal and took a quick feed from Ventre, wrapping the puck in from behind the cage.


The two-goal lead didn’t last very long once the third period began, though. Connolly’s second of the game came just 47 seconds into the stanza, cutting the Falcons’ edge to a single goal. They were able to increase it back to two with 5:05 remaining on a nice shot by Nick White, who was assisted by Sean Kelso

Leading 5-3, things looked good for the Falcons, but PJP2 certainly made things interesting late. M/UCT was attempting to kill the clock while enjoying a 5-on-3 power play late in the game, but a costly turnover occurred just as the first man was exiting the penalty box. Ryan Corcoran sprinted out of the penalty box and was sent in alone against Visconte, beating the goalie with just 1:58 to play to make it 5-4.

Visconte lost that battle, but came up big seconds later. Connolly was attempting to finish off a hat trick, and tie the game, with just 50 seconds to play. The Lion wristed one for the upper near corner, but the Falcons’ netminder snared the puck out of the air to preserve the victory.

Each team had scored a goal in the first period. Mashpee struck first when a shot from the point by Eric Garrison deflected off a PJP2 stick and found the back of the net. A minute later the home team tied the score.

Next up  for the Falcons is a trip to Rockland Arena to face Abington High School tomorrow night. Game time is 6 PM.


No comments yet.
Please sign in and be the first one to comment.