Upper Cape Tech Rams Lacrosse Tournament Ready

The regular season came to an end on Tuesday, May 20, for the Upper Cape Tech boys' lacrosse team with a 15-3 loss to non-conference opponent Old Rochester.

A big second half for the Bulldogs spoiled UCT’s chances at a comeback after trailing by just two goals, with the score 4-2 at the half.

Jack Rogers and Dylan Derby each had goals for the Rams. Shane Windward and Max Rogers played well defensively and Robert Fluke made 10 saves in goal for UCT and did a nice job on the clears.


Coming off their overtime victory on Saturday, May 17, the Rams carried their momentum into Monday’s contest at Fall River with a one-sided 11-0 romp over Bishop Connolly.

Once again senior captain Alex Peterson led the charge, scoring four times. But it was the face-off control of Shane Windward and the UCT defense that stopped the Cougars cold. Windward won all but one face-off. Robert Fluke earned the shutout in goal, facing just four shots. It was Fluke’s second shutout of the season.

Adding to the firepower up front alongside Peterson were Dylan Derby and Jack Rogers, who each had three goals, and Seth Duggan, who added one.

Outstanding goaltending at both ends of the field highlighted Saturday’s overtime 10-9 win over Bourne.

The Rams opened the scoring Saturday with three goals by Alex Peterson, but Bourne came back in the second half with a flurry of goals by Jake Girard to tie the score and take a two-goal lead with 3:53 left to play. The Rams scored twice in the final two minutes to tie the score, sending the contest into overtime, where a UCT tally in the final minute gave the Rams a 10-9 victory.

UCT junior Dylan Derby set a personal milestone in the win, scoring his 100th high school career goal with 2:35 remaining in the third quarter. He finished with four goals, scoring the game-winner in overtime.

Bourne’s Jake Girard had an offensive explosion in the second half, scoring six times and giving Bourne their first lead in the fourth quarter at 7-6.

After Bourne took a 9-7 lead late in the fourth, Rogers went to work scoring twice in the final two minutes to tie the game. Fluke (12 saves) made two big saves in the final minute to send the game into overtime.

Girard led all scorers with six goals. Derby ended the day with four goals. Peterson and Rogers each added three.

“The team has played well this year,” coach Ernest Yeaw said. “We talked about getting better all year. I would say that the team did just that. We had a slow start, winning only three out of four, but then went on a six-game winning streak. We had some close games during that run and learned from each one. We had some good surprises this year with players that worked hard and had impact roles.”

The MIAA will announce the pairings for the state tournament Friday, May 23.


No comments yet.
Please sign in and be the first one to comment.